Sunday, March 1, 2015

Meet Sunday Sophisticant.....Dana

Introduction

Hello Beautiful Natural Sisters! My name is Dana McGinister and I am a 43 year old natural beauty. I have been married for 18 ½ years and this wonderful union has blessed us with a handsome son. I am a 19 year National Board Certified veteran of education and in my spare time, I enjoy doing photography and relaxing. 

How long have you been natural?

I began my natural hair journey 3 ½ years ago. After years of perming my hair, I noticed that my hair was beginning to appear thin and my scalp was becoming more and more irritated. I decided in July of 2012 that I would stop perming my hair and see what would happen. 

Dana's Regimen & Favorite Products

The struggle was REAL at first because I decided not to do the BIG CHOP. After consulting with a few of my friends and associates, who suggested some products and hairstyles while I was transitioning, I got the hang of it. I can say that I tried a lot of products at the beginning of my journey. I knew people who were also transitioning during the same time, so we were able to swap products. My hair texture has changed a lot in the 3 ½ years of being natural. I would suggest to anyone who is transitioning to learn their hair type, pay close attention to how your hair reacts to certain products, and ask a friend before you buy. They may share products they currently have and this will save you a lot of money. Currently my hair is responding well to Cantu products. I use everything from the co-wash to the hair masque from the Cantu line. I also do the L.O.C. method every time I wash my hair, which has help seal in moisture. 

Dana's tips


One of things I was told in the beginning of my transitioning phase was to use as little heat as possible on my hair and I can say this was the most helpful advice. It forced me to be creative with styling my hair. In the 3 ½ years of being natural I have only used heat on my hair four times. I also make it a point to clip my ends every three months, by dusting. My favorite natural hair style is bantu knots. I love the results and have found that using Black Jamaican Castor Oil and Olive Oil ORS Smooth-N-Hold Pudding helps with the definition of the bantu curls.

The only regret I have is not starting sooner. I love my natural hair and find that I do so much more with my natural hair than I did when my hair was permed. To anyone thinking about or wanting to become natural, my advice is to be patient, seek help, and love a new natural you.



No comments:

Post a Comment